As a Florida worker, you have the legal right to be paid for work you have performed. Both federal and Florida labor laws detail these rights and provide procedures to recover unpaid wages. In addition to recovering these wages, you can may be entitled to liquidated damages, court costs and attorney fees.
There are a number of reasons why you may have an unpaid wages claim and the most common are:
- You were not paid the legal minimum wage rate;
- You did not receive a final paycheck after leaving your job;
- You were required to work through breaks;
- You were not compensated for earned vacation time;
- You were not paid earned bonuses; and
- You were not paid earned commissions.
Recourse Options and Statutes of Limitations
If you have a claim for unpaid wages, you should work with an employment discrimination attorney to help you select the best options to recoup unpaid wages. These options include:
- Filing a federal complaint with the US Department of Labor’s Wage and Hour Division. A claim must be filed within two years from the date that the claim arose or three years if the employer’s violation is willful.
- Filing a complaint with the Florida Department of Labor and Employment Security for issues related solely to minimum wage. A claim must be filed within two years from the date that the claim arose.
- File a civil lawsuit against the employer. A claim must be filed within two, four or five years, depending on the law that you are filing under.
You may have a claim for both unpaid wages and discrimination. An attorney can help determine your options and file the appropriate claims.
In both federal and state courts, if you win your case you may be entitled to more than just your back wages. Compensation can include:
- Liquidated damages in an amount equal to the unpaid wages you are owed.
- Attorney Fees
- Court Costs
You have a right to be paid what you are owed for work you have performed. Accurately filing a claim, preparing documents for court, and taking the case through to resolution can be overwhelming. Don’t try to do this all yourself. Instead, call Printy & Printy for a free consultation to learn about your rights and options.
SCHEDULE A FREE CONSULTATION
If you have questions regarding a legal matter, schedule a FREE Confidential Consultation by calling us at Tampa: 813-434-0649 | Tallahassee: 850-877-7299 or submitting a request.
What Our Clients Are Saying . . .
When my wife and I lost our baby due to employer negligence we had a very hard time finding a lawyer to listen and take our case. Mr. Printy, however, picked up the case and resolved our issues every step of the way. In the end, my wife and I are very happy and appreciate the outcome. We cannot thank him enough. - Nivaldy and Maria
I found Mr. Printy to not only be highly competent and extremely knowledgeable about this specialized area of law but also to be highly ethical and compassionate. Attorney Gary Printy Jr. was great with everything. Every time I would meet with him he would explain what was going on and what I needed to do perfectly and what could happen.I was always able to reach him to talk about my case and I never felt lost or that I didn't understand what was happening with my case. My case was quickly resolved in my favor.He also provided his excellent service on a contingent fee which was extremely helpful and most important to me and my family since I was out of work.If you are faced with an unemployment discrimination issue, you should immediately call Mr. Gary Printy Jr. with Printy & Printy P.A.. I highly recommend him as your attorney. He will take the time to meet with you and resolve your issue. I can not recommend him enough. - D. Betties
I highly recommend Mr. Gary Printy Jr. who is a dynamic and highly skilled attorney. Our case involved a large company in an employment matter. Mr. Printy was my steadfast, assertive advocate who diligently handled our case with the professionalism that I would expect and require of any attorney representing me in any of my cases. He was able to navigate my complicated case with a steady hand and stern demeanor. He cares about his clients, families, and the community. I wholeheartedly recommend Mr. Gary Printy Jr. - Cesar